Sunday, November 14, 2010

Windows Media Connect Xbox 360 Error 545

I have decided that since I come across many technically challenging or just plain irritating problems on a day to day bases that I would help my fellow man and spread my knowledge.

The most recent of these has been trying to get my Xbox 360 to connect to Windows Media Connect. Sounds easy right? Not quite. The error I got was that my Xbox would go to the Windows Media Connect screen but would just hang there, saying contacting... My PC would say error in configuring Extender. So looking in the Windows Event Log under Media Connect application I found error 545; Media Center Extender Setup cannot create an account for the Extender with ID... 


What was really annoying is that it was creating new profiles and folders in C:\Users everytime I was trying to connect, and you cannot delete these unless you boot in safe mode. But what I found is that in these folders there was only one app; Rapport. Makes sense now... This application is for banks that helps prevent phising and man-in-the-middle attacks. It was obviously blocking the connection to the machine. So I had to disable this application via it's console (no need to uninstall) and delete all the previous user profiles and it worked. Finally!!

So if you encounter the same problem, I would suggest having a look in the user profile it creates for the connection and see what apps are creating the problem.

Heres hoping this post helps someone..

No comments:

Post a Comment